It is currently Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:14 am

Geocaching Interest? 

Post Geocaching Interest?
I will be getting a new Jeep sometime next month.  After I get the new Jeep I was wondering if some of the people on here who are more knowledgable about the trails in Morgantown, Fairmont, and Western PA area would be interested in going out with me and planting some caches along some of the trails?  If this gets some pretty good interest I will try to set something up after I get the new Jeep.

Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:04 pm
Lifted Poster

Post Re: Geocaching Interest?
let me know whenever you go and even tho im in the southern part of the state i might come along for the ride i got a buddy in Morgantown thats big into geo-caching! its so much fun!! i love it good past time

Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:31 pm
Locked and Loaded

Vehicle: '07 JK Rubicon, '07 JKU Sahara
There are several geocaches around Morgantown and Fairmont that are accessible by Jeep; including the Beaverhole, Bee Run areas and the area around the entrance to Fort Hill. There are also a couple in areas that are no longer Jeepable; such as Wonder Falls and Valley Falls areas.

There are other areas, such as Darnell Hollow, where -- while you can still go play around in the Jeep there -- geocaches are not allowed (according to the supervisor of the WVU Research Forest who leases that part of the state forest).

Post up here when you decide where you intend to go. I'd be interested in giving you any assistance you may need.

jeepin304 wrote:
<snip> ... i got a buddy in Morgantown thats big into geo-caching! its so much fun!! i love it good past time

Who's your buddy up here? ... his geocaching name? I know pretty much all of the hardcore cachers in/around Morgantown and have heard of most everybody else.

Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:40 pm

I'm still alive

Post Whore

Vehicle: 2006 Chevy Silverado
Bringing back an old thread from the dead.....

My family and I went geocaching for the first time today and loved it. Lots of fun and good exercise. Surprised by how many were close by.

Anyone else get out and do it?

I know Manning and a few others used to leave a few for those of us that wheel.

Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:42 pm
Locked and Loaded

Excellent! What caches did you find? Other than some in Coonskin Park and a few in downtown Charleston, I haven't found that many down there. I did pick up a few easy ones around Elkins today.

Most of the people on here that used to geocache are neither geocaching or even on the forum much any more. Manning's caches have been archived and he hasn't been on geocaching.com for a couple years. Haven't seen the Millers name show up in any caches recently either. MossMan from down your way somewhere also hasn't been caching for years.

If you're looking for some good Jeep accessible caches in the area, try the "Rt 60 Connector..." series by Osiris67 (Here's one of them --> link <--). Although, I haven't been to them yet, I've heard they are good rides and I plan to get them some time this summer.

Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:45 pm

I'm still alive

Post Whore

There are around 10 all within 1 mile of my house in South Charleston.  We found 3 of the easy ones yesterday.  I know there are several around Little Creek Park.

With the proliferation of smart phones it is so easy to geocache now.  You don't need a fancy GPS unit.

I'm looking to hide one in a good area for jeepers to find this summer.

Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:31 am
Locked and Loaded

People are often surprised to see how many of these things are right around the corner from their homes (currently 17 within a mile of my home).

I've almost gone to using my phone exclusively to geocache. I still keep the handheld GPS receiver handy for caching in the mountains, but in town, it's hard to beat a smartphone. At least, until the battery dies. That happened to me the other day and I didn't have the Garmin with me. Fortunately, I was with other people who were still "online".

Post up when you hide your cache. I'll likely be down that way to our annual southern event in August and I'd like to go look for yours. Gonna try to hit the Rt 60 Connector series at that time as well. If you show up at the event, you can meet a lot of the local cachers.

Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:18 pm

I'm still alive

Post Whore

Sounds great

Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:33 pm
Site Admin

Vehicle: 2000 WJ v8
We did it a lot last year before she got pregnant.  It's fairly easy with the 4 year old, but dragging the baby on scavenger hunts may not be ideal yet.  

FWIW, there's a few out Campbell's Creek, 4wd required. :)

J-rod wrote:
When a good driver and good spotter join up magic happens.

It's ok to mix apples and oranges, so long as they're wired in series with a banana between them.

Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:00 am

Got dirt?

Curb Crawler

Vehicle: Samurai/tracker hybrid
there are quite a few in the Elkview/Pinch Quick area..  there are a few between Pinch and Sanderson that are fairly easy finds.

Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:14 pm