It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:02 am

XJ Quarter Glass Replacement 

Planning for 4 1/2"

Web Wheeler

Vehicle: 97 XJ
Post XJ Quarter Glass Replacement
After my little incident in WV last weekend, I was in need of replacing a quarter glass on my 97 XJ.  These instructions should work for any XJ, possibly ZJ's and any other gasket style window.  After getting it done, Jay asked me to do a write up.  XJ's are known for popping or shattering the quarter glass when flexing.  For me, it was an upgrade to factory tinted quarter glass.

The first step is to obtain the new glass.  If you are getting it from a junk yard, I suggest just cutting the gasket and popping the glass.  I did use several flat screw drivers to work seal over the pinch weld on the body.  If you take your time, this method works well.  If you need to save the gasket/seal, this is the way to go.  Just take your time and be careful not to rip the gasket/seal.  You should be able to get the glass out without breaking it or destroying the seal.

Once you have your new glass, you have to get the glass out of your XJ.  Most sources say to shatter the glass.  This method is messy, but saves the gaskets/seals for reuse.  My weapon of choice is a 2 inch ball and hitch that goes into my Class III receiver.

Once you have the glass shattered, you will need to remove the gasket/seal from the window opening and remove all the glass.  I found a small phillips screw driver was great.  You really need to pick the glass out of the corners.

Once the gasket is clean, I installed on the new glass.  I started the installation by putting the lower rear corner in place on the pinch weld, and tilting it down until I could get the top rear corner lined up.  At this point, you have to corners done and one of the 4 edges.  I had a helper (a 9 year old) hold the glass with some slight pressure to hold it in place, while I used a small flat screw driver to work the gasket over the pinch weld.  Once again take your time and be careful not to rip the gasket/seal.  As you are lifting the gasket up to get it over the pinch weld, have your helper push on the glass in that same area.  Work your way around.  The last corner is a PITA, but just take your time.

Once you have the window fully installed.  I pushed along the edges from the outside to ensure it was seated properly.  Then I just loosened the trim around the window to make sure the gasket/seal was tucked behind the trim.  It's really not that difficult and only took me about 2 hours to do both quarter glasses.

Before I did this, I did a ton of research and alot of methods say to use water based lube (KY Jelly) and a rope.  I used this method for part of my installation, but it proved easier and quicker just to use a small screw driver.  Basically with the rope, you wrap around the glass with the gasket/seal installed.  From the inside you pull on one end while keeping the other end taught.  This is supposed to pop the seal over the pinch weld.  I wasn't super impressed with this method, because there were sections where it didn't work, and I'd have to use the screw driver to get the seal caught up to where the rope was hanging out.

Also, I don't have a picture of the gasket in profile, but it's basically an "H" where the glass sits in the top part and the pinch weld sits in the lower part.

Here's the glass & seal removed.  As you can see it's pretty smooth.

Here's the glass installed.

Here's the carnage inside.  I still need to clean up the broken glass.

Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:51 pm

Jeepless

Bullet Proof

Vehicle: 2004 Jeep TJ
Post Re: XJ Quarter Glass Replacement
dagr8tim wrote:
...little incident in WV last weekend...

It's funny how once you cross the border, little things like putting the keys in your pocket slip your mind because you're having such a good time.  :lol:

Looks good, glad to see you got it all fixed up.

Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:07 pm

Planning for 4 1/2"

Web Wheeler

DubVThor wrote:
dagr8tim wrote:
...little incident in WV last weekend...

It's funny how once you cross the border, little things like putting the keys in your pocket slip your mind because you're having such a good time.  :lol:

Looks good, glad to see you got it all fixed up.

After I got soaked in the monsoon.  I went to see what I had in the Jeep to dry off on.  I was so excited to have found an old baby blanket to dry off on, I forgot to put the keys in my pocket and just threw them on the passenger seat.  Plus I had the tinted quarter glass sitting in the garage for the last year.  So it was an excuse to finally get around to it and swapping it.

Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:20 pm

Jeepless

Bullet Proof

Vehicle: 2004 Jeep TJ
Understandable... if there was one modern convenience I miss by owning a Jeep, it's definitely having to manually unlock it during a downpour as opposed to pressing the button and making a run for it.

Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:28 pm

XJ 4 Life.

Locked and Loaded

Vehicle: 350Z
XJs have RKE :-P.

Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:51 am

"Terrific, a six demon bag! Sensational!"

WVJC Graphics Designer

Vehicle: Jeepless
Dest wrote:
XJs have RKE :-P.

Says you, Mr. Fancy Pants.  :snooty:

Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:05 am

I'M DE O IN E......

Post Whore

Tim you put that glass in the hard way. Most people run a peice of rope around the gasket then you set the bottom of the glass in and pull 1 side of your rope from inside all the way around. This flips the rubber over the pich weld as you pull the rope around. Atleast you got it in there though and the tint looks alot better.

Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:29 am

Planning for 4 1/2"

Web Wheeler

Todd, I tried the rope method and wasn't impressed.  Maybe I used the wrong kind of rope.

Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:40 am

I'M DE O IN E......

Post Whore

Thats the way we always did them at the body shop, I think even the glass companies do them that way. Once you figure it out it's really simple. Atleast you got it in there without breaking it though thats the main thing.

Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:07 pm

NAP Fab

Bullet Proof

Vehicle: Buggy in the making!
You are right Todd.  I have installed a few windshields with a rope, and it works VERY well.  Did you put the rope in the right place?  Either way, I REALLY would not suggest using a screwdriver to install glass.  Ask me how I know..... :oops:

Not A Poser Custom Fabrication LLC
Sutton, WV 26601
304-701-7826

Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:13 pm

Planning for 4 1/2"

Web Wheeler

I wish the rope trick would have worked and maybe next time I'll use some nylon cord.

Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:20 pm

is a fan of silicone enhancements!

Post Whore

Vehicle: Pair of Nike's.
Great write-up Tim.  Thanks for sharing.

Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:20 pm