It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:41 am

WJ Blower Motor resistor Trail Fix 
Site Admin

Vehicle: 2000 WJ v8
Post WJ Blower Motor resistor Trail Fix
WJs are known to fry their blower motor resistors.  Expensive part, minor pain to fix.  I did this write up for Jeepforum.com, but copied it over here as well, although I think I'm the only one here with a WJ  :cheers:

This was actually in my driveway, not on the trail.

Well my plug was melted, and I temporarily put literally a rubber band fix on it to keep the connections made.  That lasted about 2 months, and quit working.  I pulled the resistor out and soldiered leads directly to the PCB, but the fuse blew the nanosecond that I made a connection.  I needed A/C as it's about a hundred degrees here with 50-60% humidity, and there is no replacement resistor under $200 in a 70-80 mile radius of me.  I ordered one online, and decided I could get something rigged up to get me through these hot days until the replacement came in.  I spent less than $20 at Autozone, only purchasing a 40amp relay, 40 amp fuse to replace my popped fuse under the hood, and some crimp-on female spade connectors, and a switch.

Here is everything laid out, please note the basic tools you'll need.

-Wire crimpers
-Pillips head to remove/reinstall resistor
-wire cutters
-Switch
-Relay
-Female spade connectors
-1 "butt connector"
-12-15' of 14 gauge wire

[COLOR="Red"][SIZE="4"]Disclaimer:  It's your fault not mine if you fry/melt something.  As a precaution, pull the blower motor fuse before starting!!!! It's a green 40amp fuse located in the fusebox under the hood by the battery.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

I cut the blower motor harness off of the dead resistor, as it comes as part of the new one:

I then used a butt connector to attach the blower's ground wire to the ground that fed the old resistor, and put a female spade connector on the 12v+ lead.[the smaller gauge control lead is NOT USED]:

I then cut a short piece of wire to use as a ground wire for the new relay.  It needs this to throw the "switch" inside the relay:

I looped it to ground it where another ground strap was.  This is the bottom mounting bolt of the blower box, and this bolt/nut is obvious when you're under there [remember, this is the ground for the relay not the blower]:

Sorry for the blurry pic, but I used the mounting hole in the relay and mounted it along side of the resistor, with one of the resistor's mounting screws:

I then ran the lead for the 12v+ to make the relay activate behind/under the dash, and over to where I already had the switch for my light bar, and tapped into a 12v+ source.  Any source will work, as it's just to throw the relay, which is what carries the heavy current:

Now, I flip the switch and I get sweet sweet A/C. (or heat depending on the time of year)  Please note that this will ONLY GIVE YOU HIGH-FULL-BLAST fan speed, but it's waaaay better than nothing at all while you are waiting on parts.

I hope this helps someone out.

J-rod wrote:
When a good driver and good spotter join up magic happens.

It's ok to mix apples and oranges, so long as they're wired in series with a banana between them.

Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:58 pm

off-roader

Lifetime Member

Vehicle: 1993 Explorer
Post Re: WJ Blower Motor resistor Trail Fix
nice write up.. the last time someone told me of their cheap blower resistor fix they came in work and bought a 20ft spool of wire and connected each end to the power wire going to the motor.  then again the guy did smell like garbage.

Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:06 pm
Site Admin

Vehicle: 2000 WJ v8
Post Re: WJ Blower Motor resistor Trail Fix
I wanted to retain the factory heavy gauge wiring and fuse.  I'm gong to replace the resistor this week sometime.  It's $189 at parts stores, $97 from moparpartsamerica.com  Not to mention that I need a new plug, which is a dealer only item, and can't get it over the weekend.

J-rod wrote:
When a good driver and good spotter join up magic happens.

It's ok to mix apples and oranges, so long as they're wired in series with a banana between them.

Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:24 pm