It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:14 pm

Radiator Sludge 

Post Radiator Sludge
So it has been awhile since I was on last but I am sure I talked about it I replaced my heater core about 3-4 months ago in my 2001 XJ. When I did I had sludge build up. I actually took it to a shop to have it flushed because I couldn't because my hose was frozen and I needed it done ASAP. Well, the flush caused the crap to come out of my heater core and that is why I replaced it. After I replaced it I flushed the system myself and I bypased the new heater core so that crap wouldn't get in there until after I flushed it. I bought the cleaner from outzone and ran it for 3-6 hours actually my wife and I went out driving and froze our tails off. I emptied the radiator again and I flushed it again and filled it back up again. Now back to the present. Yesterday I was driving and all of the sudden my gauge maxed out and then a minute or two later it went back down. I opened the hood and looked at the sensor and it was cracked and probably shorting out. I replaced and thought it fixed the problem. While waiting in the drive thru this morning It heated up again. So I decided that I should probably replace the thermostat since it is pretty cheap to replace. When I took it off no antifreeze came out. So i tool the cap of and to my surprise it was mostly sludge again. My question is what causes sludge and what is the best way to get rid of that crap and prevent it from happening again?

Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:29 pm