It is currently Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:34 am

$5 10 minute Wrangler HiLift mount 
Locked and Loaded

Vehicle: 94 YJ
Post $5 10 minute Wrangler HiLift mount
All the parts I used came from Tractor Supply, but could be found at any hardware store.
If you have any questions or suggestions let me know, I'll take more pics if needed.

Parts List:
2- 2 3/8" Chainlink fence tension bands.
2- 5/16"x3" Carriage Bolts
2- 5/16" nuts (the picture shows 4, but I only needed 2)
2- 5/16" flat washers
2- 5/16" wing nuts
2- larger thick washers
1- very large thick washer
The parts came up to $4.19

First, you will need to bend the tension bands to better fit the roll bars. Bend the place indicated alittle more than it came, this allows the band to clamp onto the roll bar. The red line shows the new position of the piece.

Next, place one of the bands around the driver side roll bar with the flat side of the band facing towards the rear. Thread a nut on the carriage bolt and leave loose until the final position is determined. If the band doesn't fit snug around the roll bar, remove it and bend it more.

Next, place the other band around the passenger side roll bar with the flat side facing inward towards the rear seat. Again place a nut on the carriage bolt loosly till the final placement is determined.

Now put the HiLift in, placing the bolt on the passenger side through the top center hole in the jack base. For the driver side bolt to line up, the clamp piece must be turned down. Adjust the placement of the bands then remove the jack and tighten up the bands. Place the jack back into the mounts and use the washers and wing nuts to secure it. One large washer with a small hole could be used on both ends, but I couldn't find any.

Bored? Check out this game, 4x4 Country.

Last edited by only_in_a_yj on Sun May 11, 2008 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun May 11, 2008 4:05 pm
Bullet Proof

Post Re: $5 10 minute Wrangler HiLift mount
looks good

Sun May 11, 2008 5:04 pm

OverKill is UnderRated

Post Whore

Vehicle: 2013 Jeep JK Rubicon
I love seeing quick, easy, cheap, inventive solutions like this.
Looks like it an additional bolt close in to the rollbar might clamp it on even tighter?
That is, if its a bit loose now.

~John

2005 Jeep Rubicon - Traded
1999 Jeep TJ - Sold

Sun May 11, 2008 6:09 pm
Locked and Loaded

jtice wrote:
I love seeing quick, easy, cheap, inventive solutions like this.
Looks like it an additional bolt close in to the rollbar might clamp it on even tighter?
That is, if its a bit loose now.

~John

Bending the band made it plenty tight. Maybe if it ever became a problem, you could easily drill a hole farther up and put a bolt in.

The 3" carriage bolts really need to be shorter, something like 1.5". The next time I take it out I'm going to chop them off with a grinder to make it alittle cleaner.

Sun May 11, 2008 8:31 pm

is a fan of silicone enhancements!

Post Whore

Vehicle: Pair of Nike's.
Looks good.. .and easy... thanks for posting pics.

Sun May 11, 2008 8:41 pm
Locked and Loaded

Vehicle: '07 JK Rubicon, '07 JKU Sahara
Nice solution! That's the same place I have mine, but mine is strapped down to the tie-downs on the floor which takes up a lot of room.

BTW, look for fender washers for the "large washer with a small hole". Any store that has hardware should have them.

Sun May 11, 2008 9:36 pm
Lifetime Member

Looks good, but yeah your going to be turning those wing nuts a few times.

Jason

Sun May 11, 2008 10:19 pm

Post Whore

Here is a question for you... with this mount, would you feel comfortable saying it would hold the jack if you were to mount it higher up on the roll bars?  I'm going to be getting a jack soon, and would like to mount it a little higher up, if possible.  Lilredxj had a post a week or so ago with a different type of mount using Ubolts, but i just wondered if this mount would hold or if it would want to slide down?

Tue May 13, 2008 9:04 am
Locked and Loaded

In one of the previous posts Jtice mentioned a bolt could be added closer to the roll bar to make more of a clamp out of it, I would do that if the bracket was going to hold the weight of the jack. Right now the jack base and the clamping piece support the weight. Yes, if a hole were drilled in each band and a short bolt used to hold the sides together, it would hold it. I just liked the idea of it being lower so if someone's riding in the back, there's not a chance of them banging their head on it.

Tue May 13, 2008 11:55 am

Post Whore

only_in_a_yj wrote:
I just liked the idea of it being lower so if someone's riding in the back, there's not a chance of them banging their head on it.

I guess I should have more feelings for my riders.... lol...  actually, my thought is this... I have a baby, in a rear facing seat, and there is no place in a TJ to mount a mirror so I can see him.  I thought if I mounted the jack in the right place (not obstructing my rear view, of course) I could make a clip so the mirror could snap onto the jack, and wha-la... I have a jack mount, and I can see my boy riding in his seat!  Kind of a lot of work for a simple plan, but that was my idea... Hey, if it works out, maybe I can patent it for TJ dads world wide!!!!  LOL.....

Tue May 13, 2008 12:38 pm
Locked and Loaded

Mounting the jack above a baby with this mount gives me a bad feeling, yeah, if your buddy was in the back and it let loose, you get a laugh, he gets a big bruise, give em a beer and its fine, but that would seriously hurt a baby if it fell. If you were to use my mount, I would suggest using some extra wide washers under the carriage bolt head, because the metal the band is made of is kind of soft. And I wouldn't use those cheap wing nuts, maybe tack a rod to the side of a bolt to make a handle on it to turn. I would probably step up to grade 5 or 8 instead of the cheap stuff I used. And check it throughly everytime you went out with it and the baby.

Tue May 13, 2008 2:27 pm

Post Whore

Right on... I definately wouldn't do it if I felt like it could fall on the baby.  My thought is that the jack would be on the backside of the rollbars, and the baby would actually be a little further to the front, so even if the jack were to slide down, it would slide down behind the seat, and away from the baby.  Maybe I just need to get the jack and play around with the mounting method to see where it would actually be, the load of the jack, and whether or not there is a possibility of it falling down.  

Thanks again for your info and suggestions!

Tue May 13, 2008 2:39 pm

Great post.  Something else to think about when mounting the jack like that is the different style soft tops that are out there between a YJ and a TJ.  Im not sure if i mounted a jack like that that my top would fold down in the back all the way.   Maybe its just the angle, but i just thought about that after i looked at your pics.  Or maybe im completely off base.....and totally wrong....it happens from time to time... :D

Wed May 14, 2008 8:44 am
Locked and Loaded

With my bestop, the bars left on the jeep when the top is off fold down on top of the tub, not down where the jack is. But if your top tucks down behind the roll bar, then it probably would cause a problem for you.

Wed May 14, 2008 12:02 pm
Locked and Loaded

Update

1. Don't use the long bolts I first listed, 1.5" would be plenty long enough.

2. If I did this again, I would use higher grade bolts, not really for the strength, but because taking the jack in and out roughs the threads up on the cheap bolts and I feel it wouldn't do that to good hardware. So far the only problem I've had with this is sometimes its a little hard to get the wing nut over a section of thread.

Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:01 pm